Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Monday, October 04, 2004

A Good Post at Bad Example

Blog Father Harvey has a great Post on How To Start Blogging. He was instrumental in my getting my blog started and this is the advice he gave me. It’s good to see it in print.

The name of my blog I found easy to come by, the tagline he talks about, I wrestled with. (I will actually post one day on how I came up with Boudicca's Voice. I keep saying I will do it... and I really will!) As for the tagline, I had my family throwing out suggestions, I was always thinking and constantly writing things down. I was passing them through Harvey, he was being wonderfully supportive and supplying feedback. (I think I probably win the award for being the most annoying potential blog child he ever had. He was over the labor, I am sure, and ready for me to be born!) Finally I just said ‘Screw it’ and I decided on doing without. I figured my voice was loud and I could do without for now. I still toy with it, but for now, I am tag-lineless.

At the end Harvey writes about finding your voice:

This time, you name yourself. Listen to your soul's whisper, and become who you already know you are.

This is probably the most fitting advice… be YOU. His other advice is a must in terms of how to make it happen and if you don’t have a blogfather like I had in Harvey, it can be an extraordinarly painful process. but also remember to be yourself.

I am consistently amazed and extraordinarily happy that anyone would want to read what happens in my head. I asked my husband yesterday, ‘Do you think people read my blog because they wonder what weird crap is going to come out of my crazy head each day?’ and he looked me straight in the eyes and said, “Yup.” I laughed. My blog is my voice and I love doing it. And I love that you take the time to read me. Thank you.

So if you’ve thought about starting a blog or you’ve started one, but are having a tough time keeping it together, take a look at Harvey’s post. I don’t think you’ll regret it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tammi said...

I know what you mean - I'm always amazed that people come and read me. Back when I first got started it really got to me. It's like a cyber hug.

And just so you know, now that I've met you and we've talked - I read you to confirm that the things I think will come out of your head really do. ;)

9:15 PM  
Blogger Harvey said...

*blush*

Aw shucks, you're so sweet :-)

And yeah, you're high-maintenance, but the questions you ask make me have to think about the answers, which challenges me to crystallize my thoughts instead of letting them be mired in vague abstractions.

Which makes me very happy, so keep 'em coming :-)

9:40 AM  
Blogger Bou said...

High maintenance because I think too damn much... which is why I have a blog. You are just the lucky recipient of all these private thoughts... :) Lucky you!

In real life, I am very low maintenance.

What you wrote about starting a blog though, is truth. I hope people listen.

Signed, The Crazy Lady *grin*

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home