Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Sunday, September 19, 2004

Numbers are Better than Letters

For those who may wonder, yes, in real life I actually have been known to call my sons, Son#1, Son#2, and Son#3, or just #1, #2 or #3 for short. For some reason, I get their names all mixed up, but I never get their birth order mixed up. I have been known to run through all the names shouting for one of them and then say, “You! Son#1,Whatever your name is! Come here!”

It is what it is. Hopefully they’ll get good jobs with benefits that pay for any counseling they may need for emotional damage incurred since their mother could never remember their name and called them by number.

And to just add to it, occasionally a son will show up at my bed in the wee hours of the morning. Now my sons do not look alike in broad daylight, but at night, they have the same shape head and face, for the most part. When they appear at my bedside for whatever reason, it’s not uncommon for me to say, “Wait. First, who are you and second, what do you want?” No warm fuzzies from me if you wake me up. State who you are and state your business. Just the facts. And let me sleep.

6 Comments:

Blogger Tammi said...

I'm so glad you're feeling a bit better.

I've missed you my friend!

Thank you for the smile!

9:15 PM  
Blogger Anathematized1 said...

My grandmother on my paternal side should have adopted that method. It wasn't uncommon for her to run through a list of names then finally give up in mock exasperation, "You know who I mean, YOU, come here"

One of those great memories, because we'd all smile and laugh and know exactly where she was coming from. Too many darned names to remember.

Btw she had 9 kids.

12:27 AM  
Blogger Harvey said...

My mother had 7 boys. Yeah, there were a few name mix-ups :-)

And for the midnight kids, maybe you should just go with your military roots and give them a "HALT! Who goes there?" :-)

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't worry about calling them by numbers. I have been called Lynn-Christine-Debra and sometimes even Peter-David-Debra (now that's weird one).

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been known to call our two childen (and even the dog) by anothers name multiple times. When I get angry, I just yell "BOY!" because that's about all I can remember...I am the only female within my household, so that does help :)

-KTreva

8:37 PM  
Blogger littlejoe said...

I am the xeventh kid in my family, I have the only name that DOESN'T start with T, do you think this helps my mother remember? In fact, I usually get called by every sibling name (male and female) and a couple cousins before she gets to mine.

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home