Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Ivan

My folks have lost power already and Ivan is still 100 miles off the coast. They still have phone so I am calling them with weather updates. It took a jog slightly NE, which means if it sticks that way, it will hit between Mobile Bay and Pcola. NE corner of a 'Cane is always the worst and that's where my parents and VW's folks are.

My Mom has heard of 2-3 deaths already in Panama City due to Tornados spawned.

The Civic Center which is kind of sort of down town, on the cusp is a better way to put it, but still in what I consider low lying area, is an evac center holding 2000 people. They've lost power already. As my Mom says, 'That place will be black as the inside of a hat without light.' So now you have 2000 people in a big cement building, with no power. In inevitability, of course, I just wish it was not so soon.

It's difficult to watch on TV. This is my hometown. I have memories of the beach, the Pensacola pier, of every landmark. I went to high school there. VW and I went to College there. The Weather Channel took pix in front of what looked like the church I got married in, Christ Episcopal. And I LOVE my parent's home. They have the greatest home, with a wonderful Oak tree in the front, and camellias and azaleas. And a whole grunch of 200 foot pine trees. I worry the trees will fall on their home.

But really I am officially really really worried for my parents. Trust me, nobody is more prepared then they are. They're the most organized prepared people you have ever met in your entire life. And calm... they exude calm. But I still worry because I love them so damn much and I want this to go away.

6 Comments:

Blogger Tammi said...

I'm prayin' for your family, Bug's family, ya'lls friends. Everyone.

I have some other friends with family up there also.

I'm just so sorry you have to go through this. Sometimes I think these are worse than going through them ourselves.

9:42 PM  
Blogger HCL said...

I have a prayer circle just about the size of the "eye", but there's room for your mom and dad. Just everybody stay safe -- the rest can be cleaned up. BTDT. No fun, but what's important is folks - not stuff.

BTW -- How did I manage to sneak in here? No bars on the windows tonight! hmmmmm Methinks some strings may have been pulled. Thanks to whomever.

10:14 PM  
Blogger That 1 Guy said...

Got all my thoughts and prayers directed that way.

2:15 AM  
Blogger Tammi said...

I watching the news right now. Can't stop crying.

Praying that all your loved ones are alright.

6:09 AM  
Blogger vw bug said...

Bou my heart is with you and my prayers. I want so badly to call my folks this morning but it is only 6:30am there. I didn't sleep well last night and there are no good updates on what has happened. Even weartv.com is still old news. Probably won't be new news until they get sunlight there. Keep in touch! VW Bug

6:44 AM  
Blogger pamibe said...

As the pictures come in from that area, my virtual knees are becoming calloused.
Still praying... Let us know when you hear from them!

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home