Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Saturday, August 07, 2004

Women.... How DARE You NOT Vote!

Hat tip to Jack from Random Fate in referring to THIS post by Indigo Insights. This is an excellent read on why we women MUST vote. No, it's not because our interests are not being met, it's about the sacrifices that were made so we COULD vote. You may not know some of this and it's a damn important read.

Read it. I insist.

4 Comments:

Blogger HCL said...

Thanks to you and Jack for circulating this piece. It was news to me too when I received it. But I did a little googling and confirmed some of the points. Of course, my Mammy part was totally accurate.

Indigo

10:04 AM  
Blogger Bou said...

I just followed Jack's lead. A most worthy post. I am going to be really really frickin' pissed if I hear one woman say, "I didn't have TIME to vote." We get 12 hours. They can find the damn time. And I will have no problems letting them have it both barrels.

I knew your history of your Mammy was accurate; it felt true. It just adds a more personal touch to the story. Thank YOU for writing it.

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bou, in the state of Florida one has more than 12 hours to vote if choosing to receive an absentee ballot. Received the local ballot this past week. There are 'No' excuses for law abiding citizens not take advantage of this right. Never have I missed casting my vote. It provides me an additional right: to complain. If you didn't take the time to vote, keep your opinions and your mouth shut. Your too lazy to speak.

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have only ever missed one chance to vote. The first time I got to vote was in the 1976 election - and NO I did NOT vote for Jimmy Carter!!! Yuck! My roommate gloated for weeks after he won *sigh*. I was disappointed that I had to vote absentee, since I was in college. I really wanted to go in the booth on voting day and make my vote - but absentee was better than nothing.

The only time I missed, was a local election where I ended up going out of town unexpectedly, the day before - so no time for absentee and I wasn't in town to vote. Pissed me off. I still get excited on election day - I love going over and voting. I cast my vote and while I do, I think of all the people in this world who would give ANYTHING to have this choice. I never ever take it lightly. I never skip on any question or set of candidates. It's a unique priviledge to vote and I will always be joyously happy that the priviledge has been given to me.

12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home