Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Monday, June 28, 2004

Elmo Underwear is NOT cool... Who Woulda Thunk...

Grr. Today was just one of those days. I was sitting at a stop light, minding my own business when some twirp in a POS beat up car rear ended me and then took off, fleeing the scene of the accident, crossing over 4 lanes of traffic and running a red light, probably because he didn’t have insurance. Or a license for that matter. Damn. And it’s a new van too. I got it last week. Luckily the damage is minimal. I don’t want to get it fixed but my Better Half does. To me, it just takes away that feeling of waiting for the first ding in a new vehicle. It’s done now.

I was on my way to take Son #3 for his Kindergarten shots. Vaccinations completely suck when they’re totally cognizant. The screaming and whining and gnashing of teeth. Blech. So I didn’t tell him we were going. I mean, if I have to listen to the junk about it, let me at least minimize the time. I told him I got a sitter for ‘his brudders’ so he and I could go get doughnuts, buy some new Spiderman shoes, and by the way, we’re stopping by the doctors so he can make sure you’re healthy for kindergarten. It was the truth… I just left part out. Like the shot part.

So we get there and as the nurse leaves she says he needs to be in his underwear for the doctor to check him over. Oh, I get so much grief. No kidding, he said to me, “Mom! If I knew I was coming here, I wouldn’t have worn my stupid Elmo underwear! I would have worn Spiderman!” Well, I never thought of that.

It went well, he is well, and he was very brave during the shots. I was more nervous than he was because I was emotionally scarred by Son#1, four years ago. When I took Son#1 for his shots, after the second one (I swear to you this happened), he screamed at the top of his lungs, “YOU HIT MY BONE!” and then he leaped off the table and ran down the hall and I had to chase him down like a dog and bring him back for the next shot. After an event like that, you just never know how the rest of them will react. God blessed me with only one of those. The other two handled it like champs. Phew.

2 Comments:

Blogger Harvey said...

My mom had a great trick for making me behave during shots. She told me that, if it hurt, I could say "OW!" but that was it, and if I stayed within that guideline, I'd get a sucker afterwards.

I ALWAYS got my sucker :-)

9:53 AM  
Blogger Bou said...

I think I need to compress my guidelines. He can cry at the time, but I don't want to hear about it for days. His big bribe was chocolate doughnuts. His tears did not last very long.

Grau, your post was frickin' hysterical. I just hope you never become a diabetic!

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home