Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Thursday, February 24, 2005

Again...

One of the women helping me on this fashion show... she is collecting money while I do seating... she was just diagnosed with Breast Cancer.

When I first found out a few weeks ago, I was a mess. I know too many women who have been afflicted with this disease. My grandmother was an original survivor. Every time a woman I know gets diagnosed, its as if someone has sucker punched me in the stomach. I want to fall over and vomit. Every time.

She and I e-mail every night... we e-mail data back to each other, making sure our numbers jive. I like to tease her, keep it light... and we have a good time e-mailing back and forth. When she told me she had the Big C, I told her about some events I'm involved with that are assisting in finding the cure and I told her some things I had heard she might want to look into for her treatment. I deal with illness a lot... death too much... it is not that it does not phase me, but does it do any good to be a mess about it 24/7 when you have no control? No.

But that is not to say it doesn't have it's own effects upon me... I just try to be rather stoic about it. Tonights e-mail from her... I have yet to reply. She is losing he hair. She said she opened her car window and the hair blew off her head and into the backseat. She's having it shaved on Saturday.

She is keeping it light and making jokes as this is how she is dealing with it, but I'm sitting here... reeling I guess. I have to answer... but find myself incapable... which is NOT what she needs...

The good news is she says this will not kill her... the cancer I mean. I just worry about the poison.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give her this from me:

{hug}

and then, to make her life fun & normal, start tickling her in the middle of it :-)

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oddly enough, one of the reasons so many people have cancer now is because we live so long and have wiped out or reduced the danger of so many of the diseases that used to kill us off. Fortunatly, like all those other diseases, like polio, or influenza, cancer has already been reduced in danger and will eventually be wiped out. Unfortunatly, something else will become the danger, like Alzheimers.

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bou, I am in the middle of sending out announcements for Mom's memorial. So I popped over here to "hear your "voice". Whenever Mom was down about how things were going she'd just say, D, I want you to be my friend. Just talk to me about what went on in your life today." Sissy is right. Be her friend. Tell her normal day-to-day things. Let her know you care by being yourself. HUGS !

7:41 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Bou...first, {big hug}. I think these things are just as hard on the friends and family as it is for the fighter.

Second, while losing your hair can be hard to deal with, there are also great perks. No bad hair days! Wigs...you can be a blond one day and a smurf the next. And the best part?! You can finally get the back of your hair to style like the front and sides! (lol)

Keeping things as "normal" as possible is amongst the best thing you can do and the most loving! Many times those moments of everyday life are the biggest relief that can be found.

Sending you both lots of love and hope! :)

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home