Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Heavy Hearts

Tomorrow I am getting up at 0'dark 30 to go to a Memorial Service for a dear friend of mine's niece.  She was 24 and died of an asthma attack in her sleep early Sunday morning.  I knew the young woman, a lovely girl, from DAR. She was in one of our sister chapters.  I am going early, the service starts at 8AM, so I can help the family out with some details. I told them I would do whatever they wanted and I meant it. I was emphatic and called twice reemphasizing my ability to help.  I'm glad they took me to task. 
 
I attend funerals frequently. I personally think they are more important than weddings at this point, as morbid as it sounds.   They are for the healing of the families and friends and assisting in that is of the utmost importance for me when dealing with people I care about.  Since I started blogging in June, I have blogged twice on them, once on one I could not attend because it was for a child and I'm just not THAT strong, and before that, more of a funny post, on a woman I know whose slacker son couldn't pull it together to plan her damn funeral.  Trust me, that is just the tip on what will happen this year.  I have told a couple friends of mine, "Sometimes I feel like the Mistress of the Grim Reaper".  Of course it is to be expected when you hang out with as many elderly women as I do and I do typically handle their deaths fairly well.  It is the death of the young or the tragedies that I do not deal with well. 
 
But tomorrow I will be what I need to be for these women, although inside, my heart will be breaking. 

2 Comments:

Blogger Tammi said...

I'm actually glad to see you bring this up. Not for any morbid reason, only that it IS important to attend these things.

I've lost so many people I love over the years, and it always does my heart good to see people come, pay their respects and honor the memory of my loved one. It also comforts me to know that they are doing it for me also.

I attend many more funerals and memorials than I can tally. It's important. It's the very least we can do.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Harvey said...

[hug]

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home