Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Should there be a USS Carter

Blog Father Harvey over at Bad Example has an excellent blog on the USS Carter. Make sure you read his comments too. He has a link to where the discussion originated as well.

Anyone who was affiliated with the military during his administration does not regard former President Carter with any great affinity. That would of course include me. Although the years have quelled the great animosity I felt towards him while he was in office, the memories have lingered and at this point, I feel nothing but apathy when I speak of him or hear his name. Although I think he thought he was doing the right thing, and I think he is a moral man, he was not a good President. The distinction in my eyes, between Clinton and Carter, is just that… Carter I believe had his heart in the right place and is a moral man. He was just a poor choice for leadership of such a great country… especially for one that was still having a difficult time trying to get over an enormous country shaking scandal such as Watergate, let alone Viet Nam.

Take a look at his discussion. I didn’t post on it yesterday, although I commented on his blog. I had to give it more thought as his last commenter brought up some good points. However, I stand with Harvey on this. Unless we have documentation of how Rickover really felt, I can’t just believe interpretation of words, although his interpretation may very well be true. And Carter was a President, even if he was a lousy one. I have no issues with it. Let us just hope bad karma does not follow the crews aboard this vessel…

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://216.239.53.104/search?q=cache:FRaNiLjAzEkJ:frontpage.auburn.edu/nrotc/NROTC_Classes/NAVS-2020%2520Seapower/reagan%2520bush.ppt+navy+under+jimmy+carter&hl=en


Toluca Nole

7:18 PM  
Blogger Bou said...

OK, so I wasn't strong enough. He SUCKED as a President. And Harvey did state in his blog this guy made good points. It's just not that cut and dry. Just as much as I think he completely SUCKED as a President and was completely incompetent, there are unfortunately other Americans who actually think he was OK. Believe it or not. Of course they were probably not affiliated with the military in any shape or form... I would feel stronger that they should NOT name a sub after him if he had been a crook... like LBJ. I don't know... if I look at any Democratic Presidents from my lifetime, LBJ, Carter, Clinton... and I had my druthers... I'd rather it be Carter.

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll go with Boudicca and Harvey on this one. Presidential and Naval careers are two wholly different things. Obviously the man was a distinguished officer; sounds as if he had the opportunity to be a plankowner. Maybe I read something into it. If I did, sorry. Still say no problem with naming a boat after him.

As for the bad karma, I followed Blackfive's trackback, and one of the comments there cracked me up.

"I've never been a fan of Carter. I was a mere child when he was president. I didn't dislike him mainly because nothing ever went right for the guy. I thought of him as "Shleprock" from the cartoons who was followed by a black cloud and brought bad luck wherever he went. Naming a ship after Carter could condemn it to endless bad luck. My friend has a phone number that begins with 666. Nothing major has happened but it seems like she's always replacing her phone. I've had one phone in 4 years, she's had about 7 or 8. Now, this isn't proof of anything but I'm just saying that I'd be mighty careful on a sub named after Shleprock..."


That 1 Guy

1:39 AM  
Blogger Bou said...

I hadn't followed the trackbacks on that and hadn't seen the comments... He said it right! I'd be scared every time we left port it would be "The Voyage of the Damned".

Someone over at Harvey's said that they commissioned it the day of Reagan's funeral. You think they could have postponed it... Not so appropriate.

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home