Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Sunday, June 13, 2004

Yardwork or the Rotunda? Can't decide what to wear...

I saw Lyndon B. Johnson lying in State 30 years ago. I remember all of it. I was 8. I remember waiting in the snow, in the cold, with my parents and younger siblings. I remember my Dad taking turns holding us in his big thick Navy wool coat. I remember the Marines standing guard. I remember we dressed nicely.

Have you seen the pictures of the Average Americans waiting in line to see President Reagan lying in State in the Rotunda? I am appalled. Consider the following my verbal, much deserved, spanking to the Average American who showed up in indecent attire.

Where in the hell did you think you were going? Did you stand in line for something because everyone else was, thinking it was a line to a frickin’ amusement park and then realize, “Oh! Look at that dear, it’s a coffin, draped in a flag, guarded by Marines! Oh My! We must’ve stumbled across a President lying in State!”? Give me damn break. Were you raised in a damn barn? Did your mother never tell you that you DRESS for funerals and weddings? Hey, it may be great for you that your cousin Bubba doesn’t give a rat’s ass that you showed up to his wedding in cut-off jeans and a T-shirt that says, “My Mom went to the Bahamas and all I got was this lousy T-shirt”, but guess what, Bub, it’s TACKY and RUDE to show up to a Presidential ceremony of mourning wearing that same attire. I wish the honor guard had had the express permission to take you outside and tan your hide for it, ‘cause guess what? You deserved it!

Oh I know, it was hot. Wah wah. Khacki pants, a pair of loafers, and a short sleeved cotton sports shirt with collar would have sufficed, ‘gentlemen’, and I use that term loosely. And ‘ladies’, a term I use equally loosely, you are even less to be excused as our society allows us to wear dresses which are much cooler than pants! Yes! It is true! You could have worn a simple cotton frock, a simple sundress with sandals and I would have thought, “understated, yet appropriate”. But no. You all had to represent our country in your weekend yardwork worst. Some of you probably didn’t even brush your hair. Let alone your teeth.

You should be ashamed! Very ashamed! I am using you as an example to my children of how not to behave. Boorish behavior will not be tolerated in my family. It shouldn’t be tolerated in yours. Shape up, America! You’re an embarrassment!

And to think you dressed this way for a President who made us feel so good about ourselves, who made us swell with pride that we are American. A President and his wife who brought so much class and dignity to the White House.

Shame on you!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto here! I definitely do not dress nice, but when it comes to something like a funeral, wedding, etc., I wear dress pants, dress shirt, and noose. Shows respect is what I was always told, and I believe and follow that.

That 1 guy

(wouldn't let me register with this name)

P.S. Congrats on your blog!!

11:07 AM  
Blogger Contagion said...

Well that's part of American Societies irreverence towards all tradition and respect. I dress proper for business, shirt and Tie, and I love watching the interviewees come in wearing jeans... We may not have a dress code, but that actually does tend to help toward the first impression.

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home