Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Weighing It all Out

I don't like doing business in what I consider the cusp of the ghetto if not flat out in it. Sometimes good neighborhoods go bad and the good businesses stay. Maybe they own the building, maybe they can't think of another place to move, who knows.

I don't like being some place where people get shot. I definitely don't go there at night and I do my best to stay away during the day. Yeah, I have some limited Martial Arts training, but I'm not bullet proof. I don't like feeling the hair on the back of my neck stand on end. I don't like feeling afraid. Afraid I could get carjacked or anything else.

I am doing work for a major charity group here in town. In March I'm putting on a small fundraiser for them. It has been frustrating working with these people on a good day, don't get me started on the bad. Finally they cough up the name of the printer I'm supposed to use. I call them this morning and some chicky girl gives me directions.

As good fortune would have it, I am but 10 minutes away, as I just dropped my kids off at school. But unfortunately, when she told me where she was located I had to actually say to myself, "It's OK. It's 9 AM. All the druggies are sleeping off last night's party. All the prostitutues and gang bangers will be doing the same."

So let me tell you what is WORSE than doing business with a business located on the cusp of the ghetto. Doing business with a business who gives you shitty directions while on the cusp of the ghetto.

Love that.

So I drive to the intersection that oblivious chicky girl told me they were located on and I don't see this two story building she told me would be so obvious. I swing around, drive the opposite way and still don't see it. Now I'm really not happy. I'm not having a good time with this organization, I'm in a neighborhood I DON'T want to be in, and this building is NOT where she said it would be.

I pull into a parking lot, pull out my cell phone and low IQ chicky girl answers again. "Did you tell me you are on the corner of such and such and such and such?" "Yup." she answers, I can almost hear gum snapping in her mouth.

"Really," I reply, "because I am in a parking lot, looking at all four corners and I DO NOT see you. Are you sure you aren't behind something? A gas station another building?"

"Nope," she says, 'We're on the corner."

I can feel panic setting in. I have to get this stuff dropped off, she is swearing there is a building where there is not, and I really really don't feel like driving around this neighborhood. Finally, I happen to look up and I see this building... and it is NOT at that intersection. It's behind a frickin' gas station. Way in the back.

I was going to jump all over her when I got in, but when I saw her I realized the quality person she was and I left it alone. It wasn't worth spoiling everyone's day. It was afterall, only 9AM.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh I so hate things like that!!!

Bad parts of town are the worst! Then getting lost not knowing where you are is terrifying!

12:07 PM  
Blogger Ogre said...

I think I'd be more worried that that area was only 10 minutes from the school...

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home