Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Unscathed... Yet Again

Ack! Today was one of those dreaded days… I had to go to Publix to buy… ick, Feminine Hygiene products. I try to do that without my kids. I am dreading the day I throw that pink box in the cart and one boy says, “Hey, Mom, what’s that for?” soon to be joined in a chorus with his brothers, “Mom! Mom! Mom! What is that? Huh, Mom, Huh? Why are you telling us to be quiet? What is it, huh, Mom, huh?”

Yeah. Not looking forward to that.

So as I realized as I was picking up stuff for dinner (I worked today, so it was hectic) that I needed to make ‘A purchase’, I started thinking of how to distract them. Then… fortuitously, I noticed that Son#3’s shoes were untied. As we hit the proper aisle I looked over at Son#1 and said, “Hey! Can you help me and tie Son#3’s shoes?” Ever so helpful, he bent down to tie his little brother's shoe, then of course Son#2 had to bend down to watch, Son#3 was totally engrossed in the shoe tying and I quickly and quietly, deftly lobbed said box into said cart. Piece.of.cake. Nobody noticed. Not a word.

I escaped vast embarrassment once again, but I hesitate to pat myself on the back too hard for fear it will catch up with me in the end…

4 Comments:

Blogger HCL said...

Bou, I'm sure child psychologists, not to mention PCers, would frown on my theory today. But in raising my kids (and they were very curious too!) I found it helpful (to me) if I covered subjects BEFORE they asked. Since they hadn't thought of it yet, they were usually bored with the subject in about 2 minutes. Then, later, when they brought it up for discussion, I'd just say "oh, we talked about that before, remember? You weren't interested."

Indigo

11:08 PM  
Blogger Ogre said...

Ugh. Just don't ask them to pick some up for you on their way home when they're 16!

9:32 AM  
Blogger Stu said...

Oh, don't forget the broadcast, "price check on one large box of pads on register 7!"

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember my husband and I meeting back up at the register at CostCo, and his look of astonishment as he saw the supersaverjumbobighuge pack of ...uh, FHP in the cart.
"What?" he exclaimed in a very carrying voice. "Are we draining a pool somewhere?"
They never grow out of it, trust me.

LeeAnn
The Cheese Stands Alone

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home