Name:
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida, United States

Recently have been told I look like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island. I hadn't heard that in years, but that is a good place to start as to what I look like, although she had a better bod. I have three boys and have been married for 13 years. Born of a Navy family, in Hawaii, one Mom, one Dad, one sister and one brother. The eldest of three children. BS in Applied Mathematics. Consider Pensacola my home town although I moved every 2-3 years of my life growing up. Currently work in the aerospace industry in an engineering position while being a Mom. Of Celtic heritage and very proud of it.

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

More about my Turkey Post

I posted yesterday about how I am buying my Turkey pre-cooked. I'm going to be really peeved if I find out I have to heat that sucker for 90 minutes, per what Stu said. I don't have room for that! I got a 17 pounder! Geez!

And then my loyal reader George pointed out that next time I want to brine a turkey to let him know as I should have used garbage bags and ice and cooler (look in the comments for the how to's). All I have to say is, "Why do I have such a hard time thinking OUT OF THE BOX sometimes?" I am such a follow the rules kind of girl sometimes... geez, you'd think I was the oldest child of a military household or something whacked like that. The directions said, "BUCKET" so there was NO WAY I would think of "BAG". (Yes, it can be scary being married to me.)

I was really wigging about this Turkey germ thing. The FDA would be very proud that this whole salmonella thing took with me many moons ago. I'm a freak about poultry germs. So when I had my buckets filled with big butt turkeys and water and ice, I broke out our boat cooler and tried to get them to set in it... and they didn't fit. (Looking back, I can't believe I was able to lift them and didn't pull something... must've been all that 'lift with the legs, not with the back' training.) It wasn't for lack of trying to think out of the box that I did not... I just never thought of using a plastic bag INSTEAD of a bucket.

So after I get a better oven, I may actually try this whole turkey cooking thing again. I may. I still have a big box of Kosher salt, and I should use it for something...

7 Comments:

Blogger That 1 Guy said...

Rpaster, brpaster. Whatever tjheyr'e called. Thats' the way to go. Seriously. Onl;y way my mom does a turkey. And they come out dan,m good, too.

2:41 AM  
Blogger That 1 Guy said...

Sorry, R O A S T E R, O R Broaster.

2:43 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Once you brine, you will never go back. My husband loves it so much that he takes care of the brining. And for him to do something in the kitchen says alot!!!!

7:42 AM  
Blogger pamibe said...

I'm turning a blind eye to all this talk of brine. It's enough that I am actually cooking a tiny bird, let alone learn a new poultry language... ;)

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

11:06 AM  
Blogger Harvey said...

"I still have a big box of Kosher salt, and I should use it for something..."

Um... tequila shots?

http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink7097.html

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never had deep-fried turkey, but I hear it's great.
But I also hear the leftovers are NOT too great. True or false?

Also, think multi-tasking: After turkey day, clean out the big frying pot and use it to brew beer!
- George

6:08 PM  
Blogger vw bug said...

Can't wait to hear how you worked out heating the turkey for an hour at 300 degrees. Don't keep the suspense up tooo long. GRIN.

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home